The “Sankat Mochan Samiti” (SMS) came to existence as a result of volunteer work initiated by a group of ladies Known as Sevikas in the year 1998. Sevikas wanted to assist the families and women in particular in critical needs (Sankat) due to some unforeseen circumstances. During that period they tried to assist a recently arrived family from India when the young mother died during the birth of her first twins. This left the young father to look after the young ones and also with the responsibility of earning the bread. It was a daunting situation for any family to face. The Sevikas took the responsibility of providing the food and looking after the newly born babies as and when they could and provided the necessary support to the mother of the father who came from India to take care of the family. They were there to help families with similar challenging and daunting situations. Sevikas undertook this task in addition to their full time professional job and family responsibilities.
In due course this concept of ‘seva’ was extended to provide spiritual, physical and moral support to people in extreme needs. This devotional feeling gave birth to ‘Sankat Mochan Samiti’ and a mass recitation of Sunderkand, Hanuman Chalisa and Sankat Mochan Path was organised in August 2008. It was the selfless deeds of Sankat Mochan Hanuman Ji which inspired the birth of “Sakat Mochan Samiti”. The mass recitation of Sunderkand, Hanuman Chalisa and Sankat Mochan Path, in which more than 300 devotees participated, gave blissful experience. In addition to Bhakti Bhava of absorbing the Spiritual messages in praise of Sankat Mochan Hanuman Ji, the devotees also wanted to practice the theme of selfless seva for the Universal peace as Karma Yoga. Hence the membership of Sankat Mochan Samiti was extended to not only Devotees of Sankat Mochan Hanuman Ji but also the like minded people who believed in providing selfless Spiritual, Moral and Physical assistance during critical needs.
Working with and for community to create peace and harmony
The “Sankat Mochan Samiti” (SMS) is a non political and a not for profit organisation with the aim to provide physical, spiritual and moral assistance to people and community in critical need thus achieving and enhancing peace and harmony.
The association will promote and foster educational aspect of cultural heritage to support and work with its younger generation, newly arrived individuals & families and also senior members for better understanding of values and beliefs and to live harmoniously in the multicultural environment in Australia.
Long Term Goal
To facilitate and promote SMS activities there is a need to establis SANKAT MOCHAN KENDRA (Centre)
To achieve its objective SMS will be involved in the following activities:
- Raise awareness of cultural beliefs and values by organising:
- “Shri Sankat Mochan Mohotsava” : Grand Celebration for Blissful Universal Peace Prayers – Annual Event,
- Mass participatory recitations of peace prayers, and similar cultural activities to celebrate festivals and special occasions.
- Work with other community groups and organisations to achieve objectives for peace and harmony.
- Enhancing the understanding of Indian Culture among other communities
- Working towards helping people involved in ‘Domestic Violence’
- Give recognition to members of community for their contribution and celebrate achievement of individuals.
- Organise fund raising activities for special community and social welfare projects and charitable events.
- Work towards establishing Sankat Mochan Kendra (Sankat Mochan Centre) to facilitate the activities of SMS.
- Any other activities consistent with our mission